testtest

What are we reading?

1723246782691.jpeg

4th time I read this……a must read for all……. really makes you think….

Have read: Homer, Thucydides, Complete Works of Pierre Louys, selected works by Shakespeare, Confucius, Art of War, Casonova, Sherlock Holmes, books on genealogy, coin and currency collecting, grading, Howard Cosell, Ball Four by Jim Bouton, Winchester (about the rifle), Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell, Ian Fleming's James Bond books, the Door into Summer-Heinlein's sci-fi; I, Robot (lousy movie), some Jack Reacher, Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Lillith, Books of Lists, Gavin Menzies: 1421, the Year China Discovered America, 1434- The year a magnificent Chinese fleet sailed to Italy and ignited the Renaissance. This list could go on and on and...

Anybody like horror/monster stories?
I just finished Devolution: A firsthand account of the Rainier Sasquatch massacre by Max Brooks. Published in 2020. He's the same guy who wrote The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.
The story is told as an after the fact investigation through the writings in a journal of one the victims with side bars from experts.

Here's the set up. This tech genius builds a small community in the wilds of Washington state not far from Mt. Rainier. Six, super high tech, solar powered, self contained, smart homes. They have their own fiber optic cable that gives them instant access to internet, TV and the whole world. He fills these homes with artists and progressive thinkers. All the comforts of high tech urban living far away from the maddening world.
But then, Mt Rainier blows its top. The eruption wipes out the only road in or out and cuts of all communication with the outside world. Of course these people never thought to plan for a disaster. They're completely cut off, no communication at all and each have maybe a weeks worth of food. These people have zero survival skills.
Then the Sasquatches come. They're hungry.

I do warn that it does get a bit gory. But, its a gripping story with great character studies that'll keep you on the edge of your seat as these people try to deal with their own inadequacies and a monstrous threat.
I highly recommend it. BTW: a movie is already in the works. ;)

I was heavy into Stephen King back in the day. My all time favorite was The Stand. That book was so well written, IMHO. Classic good versus evil, and horror. I've been thinking of rereading it for a while now. Sounds like a winter read.

King has changed over the years. He's lost his edge and fallen badly. I was a big fan of his earlier works, but his current stuff sucks. I bought a book not to long ago that was a collection of four of his novellas. Read the first story, started the second but just couldn't bring myself to finish it. :(

I am lucky in that the Sparks Sr. Ctr. has a room where books are donated. Many of them are hard cover, read only one time, then donated. They frequently have too many books and encourage the seniors to take them home, read, pass on to others. when I bought a new book case, I filled it up with books from the center. Beginning Tuesday, I plan to visit the other centers in Reno and Spanish Springs, etc.

As previously mentioned, just finished this. Fantastically detailed focus on our criminal justice system, private gun ownership, politics, and how they interact. 30 page appendix of cited sources. Extensive historical quotes going back to the country's founding and earlier to common law in Europe. Regardless of your opinion of WLP, this is a good read for anyone concerned about the 2nd Amendment. It matters little that it was published in 1994....all the same problems then are the same today...just amplified. Sometimes a slow read (boring sections), but that's to be expected with in-depth legalese in verse. And yes, it is biased toward our opinions on guns, but it damn well should be.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 15
Spitfire Summer by Malcolm Brown. A great read peppered with firsthand accounts of how Britain and the British people went about life during the summer of 1940 and through to the end of the Battle of Britain on Oct 31, 1940. A particularly inspiring read because my and my wife’s parents and respective families lived in the hardest hit part of London, the East End, throughout the Blitz.

IMG_7577.jpeg

Just finished reading my collection of Peter Hathaway Capstick books for the who-knows how many times.

Now into Robert Ruarks’ “The Lost Classics”. Good stuff so far.

Also a fan of James Lee Burke’s Dave Robicheaux series.

Back