testtest

What are we reading?

Screenshot_20240719_132528_Samsung Internet.jpg

I found a copy of Paul Revere and the World He Lived In on Ebay yesterday for 7 bucks.

I ordered it and the new Longmire book

I just finished First Frost by Craig Johnson.

I'm beginning to think that he has run out of story ideas. By the time I was halfway through the book I just wanted it to be over.

It's getting to the point where Craig Johnson is asking me to suspend way too much disbelief

Anybody like horror/monster stories?
I just finished Devolution: A firsthand account of the Rainier Sasquatch massacre by Max Brooks. Published in 2020. He's the same guy who wrote The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.
The story is told as an after the fact investigation through the writings in a journal of one the victims with side bars from experts.

Here's the set up. This tech genius builds a small community in the wilds of Washington state not far from Mt. Rainier. Six, super high tech, solar powered, self contained, smart homes. They have their own fiber optic cable that gives them instant access to internet, TV and the whole world. He fills these homes with artists and progressive thinkers. All the comforts of high tech urban living far away from the maddening world.
But then, Mt Rainier blows its top. The eruption wipes out the only road in or out and cuts of all communication with the outside world. Of course these people never thought to plan for a disaster. They're completely cut off, no communication at all and each have maybe a weeks worth of food. These people have zero survival skills.
Then the Sasquatches come. They're hungry.

I do warn that it does get a bit gory. But, its a gripping story with great character studies that'll keep you on the edge of your seat as these people try to deal with their own inadequacies and a monstrous threat.
I highly recommend it. BTW: a movie is already in the works. ;)

Back