testtest

What are you doing right now??

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1724784486831.jpg
    FB_IMG_1724784486831.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 34
A little off topic. Wish I had tried cowboy shooting competition. For many years I participated in other rifle/pistol/shotgun matches almost every weekend. Pistol/ black powder cartridge silhouette and mainly IDPA tactical matches. Forget what it was called but also shot M1 Garands, M-1A's, AR-15's in service style matches out to 600 yards.
A lot of older former competitors from other disciplines have switched to cowboy action shooting. The young guns can be very, very swift, but most shooters are average. Non-gun people complain about the high cost to get into it, but it isn't bad if you buy used or lower cost weapons. My favorite .45s cost $350 each, Stoeger double was $399 on sale, a Rossi '92 was $300 and my leather rig was $150. Of course I've added multiple guns over the years: '73 rifle, Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros, Chiappa 1887, 1897s, Pedersoli Lightning, Yellowboy, Pietta hammered double and others. My wife shoots, so she has an arsenal as well. A Dillon 650 feeds many and a MEC feeds the rest. I built several gun carts, but replaced my last one with a Rugged Gear cart I bought for $60 (about $800 new). Clothes can be spendy, but you can get by with jeans and work shirt or buy them used from others selling their goods at a match. I got 3 boxes of duds to sell or give. Go in with a buddy and you could share guns and a cart.
It's fun to ring steel and get that immediate feedback. Shooting paper isn't as exciting for me. Check Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) website for information and clubs near you.
The AZ State Championship will be in October with over 300 shooters from around the states and world held at the Tombstone Livery outside of Tombstone.

A lot of older former competitors from other disciplines have switched to cowboy action shooting. The young guns can be very, very swift, but most shooters are average. Non-gun people complain about the high cost to get into it, but it isn't bad if you buy used or lower cost weapons. My favorite .45s cost $350 each, Stoeger double was $399 on sale, a Rossi '92 was $300 and my leather rig was $150. Of course I've added multiple guns over the years: '73 rifle, Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros, Chiappa 1887, 1897s, Pedersoli Lightning, Yellowboy, Pietta hammered double and others. My wife shoots, so she has an arsenal as well. A Dillon 650 feeds many and a MEC feeds the rest. I built several gun carts, but replaced my last one with a Rugged Gear cart I bought for $60 (about $800 new). Clothes can be spendy, but you can get by with jeans and work shirt or buy them used from others selling their goods at a match. I got 3 boxes of duds to sell or give. Go in with a buddy and you could share guns and a cart.
It's fun to ring steel and get that immediate feedback. Shooting paper isn't as exciting for me. Check Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) website for information and clubs near you.
The AZ State Championship will be in October with over 300 shooters from around the states and world held at the Tombstone Livery outside of Tombstone.
Sounds like a whole bunch of fun. Hate to think about much money I spent on guns and gear. Over the years I've watched matches on TV looked like all were having fun and lots of fellowship. Also noticed a number of seniors participating and the ladies enjoyed dressing up as well as competing. Think the guys enjoyed dressing up too and all had their old cowboy aliases. Don't think my age (77) would be a factor but medical conditions would keep me from competing. Going to check out their website to see if any matches are near me. Who knows maybe I'll find a way to join in. Thanks for the info. Good luck in the state championship match.

Back