testtest

What Is a Muzzle Brake

The factory brake was doing it’s job on my Saint .308 for hogs on the run. Mitigated climb for follow on shots.
My fellow hunters on the line were about to kill me themselves if I continued to use it.
Not friendly at all to those next to you shooting.
Agreed. The SV .308 brake does a great job reducing recoil but it blasts everyone to the sides and behind to a certain angle, pretty much everyone except the shooter. I took the .308 down to my sister's property when a few of us were having a little family shoot. We were shooting 1 at a time and everyone else was shooting 5.56 ARs. When it was my turn the SV .308 blasted everyone lol. They all had to jump up and move their lawn chairs back a ways lol.

The point is that I never knew how much the side blast there really was because I've only shot it by myself before. As the shooter you just have a nice easy recoiling rifle.

Oh, after the extreme percussion felt by all, everyone was lining up to shoot my SV .308. It was like shooting a cannon compared to their ARs. I went through a pile of ammo that day.

Agreed. The SV .308 brake does a great job reducing recoil but it blasts everyone to the sides and behind to a certain angle, pretty much everyone except the shooter. I took the .308 down to my sister's property when a few of us were having a little family shoot. We were shooting 1 at a time and everyone else was shooting 5.56 ARs. When it was my turn the SV .308 blasted everyone lol. They all had to jump up and move their lawn chairs back a ways lol.

The point is that I never knew how much the side blast there really was because I've only shot it by myself before. As the shooter you just have a nice easy recoiling rifle.

Oh, after the extreme percussion felt by all, everyone was lining up to shoot my SV .308. It was like shooting a cannon compared to their ARs. I went through a pile of ammo that day.
No fan here of brakes being used at public ranges. Tend to make enemies of shooters on either side. Same as why they're not permitted in NRA competitions with shooters only three or four feet apart on the line.

Brakes and cans have their proper place and are both very effective at their jobs when chosen and fitted with care.

No fan here of brakes being used at public ranges. Tend to make enemies of shooters on either side. Same as why they're not permitted in NRA competitions with shooters only three or four feet apart on the line.

Brakes and cans have their proper place and are both very effective at their jobs when chosen and fitted with care.
Brakes on medium and large bores at indoor ranges are definitely no fun. You feel it no matter where you stand. Outdoor, not that big of deal.

My all time favorite muzzle device for the 5.56 platform is the SureFire Warcomp. It just does everything so well! Class-leading flash suppression, recoil reducing brake, and the added bonus of being a suppressor mount... Who could ask for more?
SureFire-Warcomp-556-1-2__84565.jpg

IMO, muzzle brakes are over-rated & not worth the extra noise, especially on a .223/5.56 which have a light recoil anyhow. Really only a benefit on cartridges more powerful than a .308.
It's not really extra noise, it's just redirected noise. Being able to take recoil against your shoulder or make fast flat shots on moving targets. 300wm without a brake isn't any big deal, but faster flatter shots at longer ranges is a decision. Or you could have a #25 gun and have less felt recoil.

View attachment 32536View attachment 32537
My father in action on 105’s.

Brakes are great for “on the run” shots.
I love them.
Those around hate you as I stated earlier
M102s are small. They are also staked to the ground when they're emplaced. When you're aiming an M105 instead of cranking the whole tube around for your deflection somebody picks up the trails and angles the whole gun in the general direction and then you dial it in.

I did that one time too many comma now I get a check from the VA every month because of it.

The "bird cage" on military m4/m16 and so on are far from flash hiders and not even close to brakes (never designed that way). Under semi action it does reduce flash some, but 3 burst and full auto it breathes fire. I think the flash reduction is more for iron sights, as in so you can see better without blinding light. Brakes with 3 or more ports per side and 15 or more round holes still flashes. I know because of the vast collection of muzzle devices I own. But yes the dual is a give and take type for those who can't decide? Using other than factory ammo where you can roll your own has great benefits on less flash outcome. When you look at how it's installed/timed the muzzle devices usually (ones I've seen) don't have openings at 12 o'clock. There're some that do though, but usually have openings all the way around or have the 6 o'clock solid so when prone it doesn't kick up debris. It can get expensive trying to get 1 that fits your style of shooting and be effective for muzzle jump. I'm not a paid researcher/promoter, I can give you the best choices without spending lots of money. From 22cal to 33cal rifles and 9mm to 45cal handguns I've bought lots of brakes and some work fair for flash reduction.
I pretty much agree. The standard A2 flash suppressor still makes a flame show in burst. I have compared it with an 18" barrel with nothing on the muzzle to my 16" barrel with the standard A2 flash suppressor, and there is less flash despite a shorter barrel. So it is better than nothing. Which you said..

They did block off the lower ports for stopping kicking up dust while firing. I remember a video about the M-16A2 and specifically pointing how the A1 could reveal your position by dust clouds kicked up from firing in the prone position. Thus leaving only the upper ports open and the claim its compensating. And to be fair, I have never seen to claimed to be more than a "slight" or "minor" effect.

Comparing the same rifles I mentioned earlier, one with and one without, we were split 50/50 as to if we can tell a difference in muzzle rise or if were just talking ourselves into it, cause we were looking for it.... ....so it is safe to call it none or so minor you can't tell....

I pretty much agree. The standard A2 flash suppressor still makes a flame show in burst. I have compared it with an 18" barrel with nothing on the muzzle to my 16" barrel with the standard A2 flash suppressor, and there is less flash despite a shorter barrel. So it is better than nothing. Which you said..

They did block off the lower ports for stopping kicking up dust while firing. I remember a video about the M-16A2 and specifically pointing how the A1 could reveal your position by dust clouds kicked up from firing in the prone position. Thus leaving only the upper ports open and the claim its compensating. And to be fair, I have never seen to claimed to be more than a "slight" or "minor" effect.

Comparing the same rifles I mentioned earlier, one with and one without, we were split 50/50 as to if we can tell a difference in muzzle rise or if were just talking ourselves into it, cause we were looking for it.... ....so it is safe to call it none or so minor you can't tell....

About the only flash suppressor/hider I’ve found that are worth a damn are the Vortex or similar designs.

Back