testtest

BassCliff deciding on his 1st AR-15, HELP!

My input. If you want an inexpensive, entry level, range toy, possible HD, AR look at the Ruger AR556 and S&W M&P Sport III. Both for under $1000. You mentioned irons... if you want an old school A2 front sight check out the Ruger AR556. I have it and like it a lot. Trigger is not so great but that was an easy swap out.
If you want a flat top check out the Ruger AR556 MPR. 18" barrel, rifle length gas system, 1/8 twist, Ruger's "452 match trigger" (better than mil-spec) and comes with a comp. If you want 16" barrel check out the M&P Sport III.
I will probably be getting a flat top within 6 months and will most likely get either the MPR or the Sport III and top it off a 1-8x scope that i have on my Ruger AR556. The AR556 will go back to strictly iron sights because i'm Amish ;).
yes

As a first AR, I would look at PSA because the quality is pretty good and once you get your AR you are going to want to tinker and what’s the point of laying down serious bucks when your 1st AR is effectively a gateway drug to your next AR. I definitely agree that Daniel Defense is overpriced. They’ve got some great looking guns - I’ve considered a couple - but you are paying for the name. The Saint is ok, but it’s exactly that - ok. I had one and found that when it came to modding or completely rebuilding it didn’t feel right to have a FrankenSaint.

By the way, did you read the thread on lever guns. As range toys go they are 100 times more fun than an AR. And when it comes to home defense if you’re going to whip out an AR you want something with a 10.5 inch barrel max and a suppressor - unless all those years of gigging have left you deaf anyway!

Many many years ago when I was into AR’s, I only bought Bushmasters, never an issue with them, had 3 different models all at same time, put many thousands or rounds through each, good rifles, unfortunately they are no longer made or are not the same quality as years ago, I would go with a PSA rifle if it was me, my friend has one, flawless….just my thoughts

have you considered anything from hi-point? :ROFLMAO:
IMG_3053.jpeg

I have been shooting AR's since 1970, I was of the opinion they were all alike. But, having attended some high round count rifle instructor courses in recent years, I have become an adherent of piston rifles vs direct gas impingement guns. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the bolt carier group was after hundreds of rounds through my SIG 516. If you are not going to be shooting a lot, fouling between cleanings in a gas impingement gun is probably not an issue for you. Quality piston guns seem to be a bit on the pricier side.

I have been shooting AR's since 1970, I was of the opinion they were all alike. But, having attended some high round count rifle instructor courses in recent years, I have become an adherent of piston rifles vs direct gas impingement guns. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the bolt carier group was after hundreds of rounds through my SIG 516. If you are not going to be shooting a lot, fouling between cleanings in a gas impingement gun is probably not an issue for you. Quality piston guns seem to be a bit on the pricier side.
@Talyn has done nice ones.

PSA goes after the market aggressively, that's why their "sale" prices "look" cheap, whereas other brands, like SA, do the usual MSRP route. But, you're getting a quality gun from PSA who pursues a different business model that the typical AR manufacturer.

IMO, with some brands you pay for the name vs. what you're actually getting as far as features.

One needs to look at what the factory rifle is built with when it comes to the barrel, BCG & trigger which are all my key elements when building a rifle.

While I prefer a CHF CL or SS barrel I do have a couple of nitrided barreled uppers (PSA) if they fit a build-need. BTW - I do have a PSA upper like the one in the first rifle choice on Page 1. It's fine.

It's very hard to beat a PSA upper with a FN CHF CL barrel that's on sale. Especially like this one, if you want to go with the 20" barrel & A4/A5 configuration.

Here, the sale price covers the cost of a FN barrel & you're getting the rest of the upper for free. But you still have to get a quality BCG & CH but PSA has really good deals on BCGs and lowers if you're not in a hurry.

But, the PSA shown on page one is a good deal for a starter AR, especially if that's all the configuration you need..

BTW - I've never had/used a bad PSA upper/lower & BCG. Plus, PSA has as good a warranty as anyone else.

HGs recommendation of looking for "blems" is a good one & you may have a tough time finding the "blem". IMO, other brands just ship out what they "assemble" and wait for a customer to return something that looks "blemmy".

As HaysG says piston guns are pricier but are very clean to shoot. I just put a PWS Mk. 118 MOS 2 upper on a YHM lower build & it's very nice, BUT I may end up getting a stripped PWS Mk.1 MOD 2 lower and build that up to the standard I do with all my Tier 1/2 builds to make it an "all PWS" gun.

My .02

Last edited:
PSA goes after the market aggressively, that's why their "sale" prices "look" cheap, whereas other brands, like SA, do the usual MSRP route. But, you're getting a quality gun from PSA who pursues a different business model that the typical AR manufacturer.

IMO, with some brands you pay for the name vs. what you're actually getting as far as features.

One needs to look at what the factory rifle is built with when it comes to the barrel, BCG & trigger which are all my key elements when building a rifle.

While I prefer a CHF CL or SS barrel I do have a couple of nitrided barreled uppers (PSA) if they fit a build-need. BTW - I do have a PSA upper like the one in the first rifle choice on Page 1. It's fine.

It's very hard to beat a PSA upper with a FN CHF CL barrel that's on sale. Especially like this one, if you want to go with the 20" barrel & A4/A5 configuration.

Here, the sale price covers the cost of a FN barrel & you're getting the rest of the upper for free. But you still have to get a quality BCG & CH but PSA has really good deals on BCGs and lowers if you're not in a hurry.

But, the PSA shown on page one is a good deal for a starter AR, especially if that's all the configuration you need..

BTW - I've never had/used a bad PSA upper/lower & BCG. Plus, PSA has as good a warranty as anyone else.

HGs recommendation of looking for "blems" is a good one & you may have a tough time finding the "blem". IMO, other brands just ship out what they "assemble" and wait for a customer to return something that looks "blemmy".

As HaysG says piston guns are pricier but are very clean to shoot. I just put a PWS Mk. 118 MOS 2 upper on a YHM lower build & it's very nice, BUT I may end up getting a stripped PWS Mk.1 MOD 2 lower and build that up to the standard I do with all my Tier 1/2 builds to make it an "all PWS" gun.

My .02
Talyn, good link, I'm tempted to get one of their AR10 models, and look at those prices. Hmmm

LONDON CALLING….

While we are enabling here, I would be remiss in not pointing out for Saint money you could get one of these and have ridiculous amounts more fun than an AR and instant street cred at every range you go to. Not to mention that suppressed this is a highly effective home defense gun.

IMG_6293.jpeg

And for a few gigs more you could have the gun to the right of this one. 226 Legion RXP SAO. You will OWN those targets.

Just pretend you never saw that Daniel H9. That was a fever dream I had.

IMG_6634.jpeg

MESSAGE OVER…

LONDON CALLING….

While we are enabling here, I would be remiss in not pointing out for Saint money you could get one of these and have ridiculous amounts more fun than an AR and instant street cred at every range you go to. Not to mention that suppressed this is a highly effective home defense gun.

View attachment 65103
And for a few gigs more you could have the gun to the right of this one. 226 Legion RXP SAO. You will OWN those targets.

Just pretend you never saw that Daniel H9. That was a fever dream I had.

View attachment 65104

MESSAGE OVER…

Someone is still chuffed about Operation Nimrod…
IMG_4123.jpeg
IMG_4122.png

Simon that is a beautiful one indeed, you have a link handy?

Wait for a sale. They hit $1000 all the time . Now you have to spend $200 NFA to SBR it and another $200+ on a stock, but its way more fun than my AR15 SBR for same money . Then repeat for a suppressor, but its only money 😜

IMG_3607.png

IMG_5763.jpeg

Back