testtest

BassCliff deciding on his 1st AR-15, HELP!

I seen this in atwoods and was on clearance and just had to bring it home. i did say a few dern yer hide cliffs though. lol

the backpack straps hide under the a big flap out of the way. to deploy them un zip the zipper and pull em out. has two huge pockets on the front and is a double rifle case. this thing is heavy. i imagine you put two rifles in it and yer gonna need the back pack part. also came with a carrying shoulder strap with pad.

20240916_153801.jpg
20240916_154053.jpg
20240916_153828.jpg
20240916_153920.jpg

A guy i know bought a 50 cal with one of those huge dog knot brakes on the front. had four big holes on the side and kinda pointed back to the shooter. i bet this brake weighed 5 pounds. he had it on a bipod and after three rounds it had blowed all the leaves away from the side. lol i put my fingers in my ear and was standing at the side of it and crap it was still loud.
I got one of those on my RPR 338 Lapua Magnum. It came with the rifle, but haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet (saving up for the very expensive ammunition :sneaky:)

Hi guys,

Since there was a special sale at my range this weekend...

AP1GczNAiugMF9u3Fga17kgWufHtrlwMNDmZrdWgxuEAlVme-u-KyHWZJLbzgWIidT9FtX4zC2xBAecKwO3XQtmFa78zVVomii8DGgkD0E_tmCmhGSxXWZA1jtU15Cnztfd_TieGp-qTSWNq_F4bLwStOICaKg=w843-h927-s-no

...and I wanted to get myself a late birthday present, I stopped by after church to shop around. I probably could've gotten this scary black rifle for $100 or so less online but I wanted to help this mom-and-pop outfit put new shoes on their kids. I went ahead and bought an upgraded backpack style soft case, sling, sling mounts, and an extra mag.

AP1GczNkVKZee1_5X-OwINBAKjAIbETUAliG_tjsmOXb_2arj3TKdqFDXgEtY3CNmlleMdU9eE2NJslpjn4tsiyaWOC0pNL9HgE56zz8gxj9beT5BS72tYMFBaKzvC4pCprIM9cQqFjo3GB7Vt35Q49MqUqOqA=w1648-h927-s-no

It's a pretty standard Saint Victor. I'm gonna shoot it a bit before I start shopping for an optic. First I guess I'd better order up some ammo, and more mags. We're going on an adventure! ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Congrats Cliff (y), good pick up. I own three Saints. The base model Saint 5.56 when Springfield jumped into the AR15 market (bought it at a gun show); the Saint Victor 300 BLK pistol (they no longer make (I should of also bought their 308 Victor pistol which is also discontinued)); and their 5.56 Saint Edge which is their top of the line model. All well made and nice additions to my many AR15 collection.

I seen this in atwoods and was on clearance and just had to bring it home. i did say a few dern yer hide cliffs though. lol

the backpack straps hide under the a big flap out of the way. to deploy them un zip the zipper and pull em out. has two huge pockets on the front and is a double rifle case. this thing is heavy. i imagine you put two rifles in it and yer gonna need the back pack part. also came with a carrying shoulder strap with pad.

View attachment 66615View attachment 66616View attachment 66617View attachment 66618
It’s empty….WTH….. at least you could have thrown in one of those infamous yeet cannons you have…….sheeessshh

Thanks guys!

A flash hider.
There are plenty of styles to choose from. i’m a surefire warcomp fan myself

View attachment 66580
Just put a standard A2 FH on it.

I was aware the "stock" muzzle device on this rifle would be pretty obnoxious. One of my instructors was in the store while I was making the purchase and I asked him about it. He said, "Yeah, it gets pretty loud but for the rifle class I always tell my students to double up on the ear-pro." With that recommendation I think I'll tame this beast a bit and order up an A2 Flash Hider.

I've been on the range in the bay next to one of these rifles with a muzzle brake. The concussion felt like an earth quake. It was blowing targets off the carriers. I don't want to be "that guy".

Are they all about the same? Can I spend $10-$15 or do I need to spend $50? It seems 1/2"-28 is the standard thread. I will RTFM to make sure mine is the same.

1726533052217.png

All you guys are pretty fantastic. ;)

BassCliff

Hi,

View attachment 66615View attachment 66616View attachment 66617View attachment 66618

Hey! That's nice! For some reason the gray Savior case appealed to me. It should hold another rifle too, at least my little .22 tactical folder. ;)

BassCliff

Thanks Mike,

Congrats on the saint. What are you going with for an optic? RDS, scope, or irons? We’ll be expecting a full report and i’m sure you won’t disappoint. Enoy your new scary black rifle. Let the games begin…

I haven't even started thinking about an optic yet. I'll start window shopping soon, I guess. It'll have to be something simple, I'm just the bass player. ;)

BassCliff

If you get the flash hider that has no slots on the bottom you will have to time it. ones that have them all the way around you don't have too. also you will probably need to hold the barrel to remove the one on it. i use two 1x4' and put the barrel between them and in a vise.

Hi,

Congrats !

Gun day is fun day.

Also, job #1 is to swap out that horrible brake. The concussion from that will **** off every person next to you on any range you go to. 🙂

It works perfect for follow up shots in rapid succession for animals on the run, but to the detriment of everyone around you . So bad my fellow hunters told me to either leave that gun at home or swap out the brake.
Indoor is a horrendous concussion

Thank you. Yes, since I'll be shooting this indoors, at least at first, I will pick up a flash hider instead. I do shoot outdoors on occasion. I'll save the brake for those "special" occasions. ;)

BassCliff

Also, as a guy who has and knows a lot of guys who have ARs I can tell you right now Springfield ARs are easily more “ Hit or miss” than PSA.

Wow ! That's really saying something. PSA is inconsistent as all get out , if S/A is even worse ....

( In full picture - If you keep a close watch on PSA website and react quickly , some screaming bargains pop up . Enough so to be worthwhile to deal with hit or miss QC .)

It's highly subjective , and a can of worms to recommend a specific AR to someone.

Rather , what I do is point out a Benchmark of AR quality / price that the rest are compared against .

Windham.

Hi,

If you get the flash hider that has no slots on the bottom you will have to time it. ones that have them all the way around you don't have too. also you will probably need to hold the barrel to remove the one on it. i use two 1x4' and put the barrel between them and in a vise.

That is good to know. Thank you. I don't even know what "timing" you're talking about. I have much to learn. ;)

BassCliff

Hi,

That is good to know. Thank you. I don't even know what "timing" you're talking about. I have much to learn. ;)

BassCliff
Timing is using the right amount of washers to ensure the filled in part is at the bottom when tightened up. you will need a timing kit which is several thickness of washers or spacers. you more or less have to play with it to get it right. they had to time that brake so it is in the correct position when tightened. Probably used a crush washer.

Hi,

BassCliff
Buy an “AR Tool” for like $25
Has all the slots to do the work on most things AR.

Use your own vise if you have one. Use lots of foam or rags to not scratch the heck out of your ar

If not, buy an AR “cleaning station” bench, but a standard vise works fine

an Ar15 “cleaning station” that holds the rifle in place and you can mount that to a work bench an torque away on an AR to work or clean

Both are not very expensive

IMG_7654.jpeg
IMG_7653.jpeg

Back