testtest

G3c slide finish

Basically what im left with after i had to use the good old steel wool. The top is brighter more of a dark gun steel. And the sides black. The good thing is tennifer is still there. She just has a different patina on top. I will never try and touch up something again. If I get a scratch it stays next time. Hopefully I did not make her look like crap.
20221218_155426.jpg

Basically what im left with after i had to use the good old steel wool. The top is brighter more of a dark gun steel. And the sides black. The good thing is tennifer is still there. She just has a different patina on top. I will never try and touch up something again. If I get a scratch it stays next time. Hopefully I did not make her look like crap.
View attachment 33731
Looks like regular and commen holster wear. Some people pay good money for the "distressed" look..

Agreed... Plus spending $150+ on a slide for a $250-$300 gun is ridiculous and a waste of money. It's a tool and a Taurus at that. It's a polymer frames striker fired pistol that's not going to appreciate in value, be heirloom worthy, etc. Not worth the effort in worrying about the finish looking pretty on a ugly gun or worth the money replacing the slide.

I don't see the big deal in replacing the slide for an upgrade no matter the cost of the entire firearm considering how often this is done with AR's & Glocks. You can have an entry level lower on an AR or Glock and replace the upper with whatever tier upper you want and nobody questions that. Most of the performance of a firearm is in the upper or slide, besides a trigger swap.

I don't see the big deal in replacing the slide for an upgrade no matter the cost of the entire firearm considering how often this is done with AR's & Glocks. You can have an entry level lower on an AR or Glock and replace the upper with whatever tier upper you want and nobody questions that. Most of the performance of a firearm is in the upper or slide, besides a trigger swap.
I like your thinking.

There's a difference in replacing an upper for performance purposes vs replacing it just because there's a blemish. A stripped AR upper receiver is a stripped AR upper receiver all made to the same specs. The benefits are in what bolt carrier group, barrel, and maybe charging handle is used. The same is true for Glock slides, and I been on GlockTalk for about a decade, and they frown on replacing factory parts with aftermarket parts. There was also a similar thread were someone wanted a new slide for their Glock 17, and the consensus was the same as mine.... It's just a tool. If I go on ARFCOM, AKFiles.com, or
M4Carbine.net and state they you want to ditch a perfectly good upper because of a cosmetic blemish, they're going to troll you.

Look up "distressed slides" and pictures of handguns that people actually own, carry, and use on a regular basis. They all show finish wear. It's inevitable and will happen to every firearm that isn't a safe queen or owned by casual gun owners who will barely ever use their tools.

1671401906494.png

1671401994069.png

There's a difference in replacing an upper for performance purposes vs replacing it just because there's a blemish. A stripped AR upper receiver is a stripped AR upper receiver all made to the same specs. The benefits are in what bolt carrier group, barrel, and maybe charging handle is used. The same is true for Glock slides, and I been on GlockTalk for about a decade, and they frown on replacing factory parts with aftermarket parts. There was also a similar thread were someone wanted a new slide for their Glock 17, and the consensus was the same as mine.... It's just a tool.

Look up "distressed slides" and pictures of handguns that people actually own, carry, and use on a regular basis. They all show finish wear. It's inevitable and will happen to every firearm that isn't a safe queen or owned by casual gun owners who will barely ever use their tools.

View attachment 33734

View attachment 33735
You are absolutely right. Thanks for the common sense talk. I am slowly coming to terms with this mentality. I actually like the look of the holster wear distress on top picture haha.

There's a difference in replacing an upper for performance purposes vs replacing it just because there's a blemish. A stripped AR upper receiver is a stripped AR upper receiver all made to the same specs. The benefits are in what bolt carrier group, barrel, and maybe charging handle is used. The same is true for Glock slides, and I been on GlockTalk for about a decade, and they frown on replacing factory parts with aftermarket parts. There was also a similar thread were someone wanted a new slide for their Glock 17, and the consensus was the same as mine.... It's just a tool. If I go on ARFCOM, AKFiles.com, or
M4Carbine.net and state they you want to ditch a perfectly good upper because of a cosmetic blemish, they're going to troll you.

View attachment 33734

View attachment 33735
The OP was looking at an upgraded optics ready slide. So I would say that counts as an upgrade.

Also a BCG does nothing for performance as long as it headspace's correctly.

The OP was looking at an upgraded optics ready slide. So I would say that counts as an upgrade.

Be that as it may brother, there is a world of difference between upgrading your upper on an AR and putting a new slide on a $200 striker pistol. And for the record, I generally haven't upgraded uppers on ARs, I just buy another stripped lower and start over. And most Glock upgrades are barrel related are they not ?

I agree with the other guys that said run it. It don't look bad. Certainly not bad enough to worry about. And I am definitely one of those guys who would not spend $150 to put a new slide on a $200 gun. If you're that far in, just buy the whole gun.

There's difference in changing an upper to gain a performance advantage vs changing the stripped upper just because there's a blemish. The point being there's not going to be anything gained other than a small cosmetic change.

Next, there is a difference in BCG's and they can be upgrades and made out of different types of metals, finishes that offer different features and levels of durability between them, staked differently, so on and so forth whether they all are headspaced correctly or not. Heck, even some have different cuts that aid in shooting suppressed.

Last, the OP's primary concern and all that I seen him post about was fixing the blemish on the slide. I may have missed it, but I didn't see any post about him wanting to use an optic. All I seen and gathered from everything he posted thus far is that his only concern was with the cosmetic rub marks. If anywhere in his post he eluded to wanting to carry with an optic, my opinion and advice would change.

Mine wouldn't. My advice would be run it like it is, don't let it rust and buy a complete other, better pistol that is already cut for an optic.
I agree... I have nothing against the current crop of Taurus handguns. I think they are good to go. With that said, the optic ready G3c is $260 online. If he's going to spend $150 on an optic cut slide, he might as well throw in the extra $110 or so, and buy another Taurus G3c that's optic ready. That is, get the slide for $150 or add an extra $110 to that and get two extra mags, a barrel, recoil spring assembly, and complete frame.

Back