testtest

LOVED MY HARLEY!

Harley Davidsons of similar class/age are at least as expensive as BMW's...and if you think that's bad, check out a brand new Indian dresser. Yikes (saw one over $43k in a dealer).
The air backed dollar is dying.

I remember when my older brother returned from Viet-Nam.
The first thing he did was buy a 1969 Dodge Charger V8 for $3,600.00.
My father was complaining he spent too much for his toy.

I never owned a street bike ; Wife says nope.
Growing up I had a few dirt bikes. Honda XR100 (4 stroke ) was my first , followed by my first Two stroke Kawasaki 125, then my last was Yamaha YZ250. Good times.
My first dirt bike was a Hodaka 125, a real screamer. Later on I got a Can-Am 250 did a little local track racing. Those YZ250's were fast and had good suspension. Yeah, you're right those were good times.

I

I hope he kept that one. $$$$
He got married to a girl with one kid in Naples Fla and sold it to get a 4dr.
I do not remember the mileage but it was way over 100,000 miles as he would drive to his GI buddies houses to visit in many states and it had a lil damage from being hit broadside.
He told me, every once in a while, he sees the Charger driving around exactly like he sold it.

The air backed dollar is dying.

I remember when my older brother returned from Viet-Nam.
The first thing he did was buy a 1969 Dodge Charger V8 for $3,600.00.
My father was complaining he spent too much for his toy.
In 1971 I bought a 72 Mustang convertible like this one for about that price. Bought it in the BX in RVN and it was waiting for me at a dealer in Chicago when I got back. Best car I ever owned

Attachments

• 136598379.jpg
    136598379.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 44
Over many years I've owned many different bikes in many different sizes. From 50cc dirt bikes to 1300cc roadies. I went without one for several years till about 2016 when I decided I wanted another HD. Well, the bigger road bikes were just too heavy for this 70+ year old, broke down and beat up rider, so I bought my 2nd or maybe 3rd Sportster. Even though I was originally skeptical as to whether or not I'd like the smaller bike after having so many bigger ones, I quickly discovered that even at 70+ and just a little over 135 lbs, I could throw that little 560+/- Sporty around as well as I ever did the bigger bikes when I was 30-40 years younger and several pounds heavier ... and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Looking back now I know if I had bought the bigger bike, I wouldn't have had it long before it wore me out. I ended up selling the Sporty sometime in 2021 IIRC, and don't regret it too much. Did for awhile, but quickly got over it. By the time I sold it I was 75/76 and it was time to get off of the bikes. Don't have any easily obtainable pictures, but wish I did. That little Sporty was as pretty as they come with that bright red paint job and all the chrome accessories that was put on it.

Over many years I've owned many different bikes in many different sizes. From 50cc dirt bikes to 1300cc roadies. I went without one for several years till about 2016 when I decided I wanted another HD. Well, the bigger road bikes were just too heavy for this 70+ year old, broke down and beat up rider, so I bought my 2nd or maybe 3rd Sportster. Even though I was originally skeptical as to whether or not I'd like the smaller bike after having so many bigger ones, I quickly discovered that even at 70+ and just a little over 135 lbs, I could throw that little 560+/- Sporty around as well as I ever did the bigger bikes when I was 30-40 years younger and several pounds heavier ... and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Looking back now I know if I had bought the bigger bike, I wouldn't have had it long before it wore me out. I ended up selling the Sporty sometime in 2021 IIRC, and don't regret it too much. Did for awhile, but quickly got over it. By the time I sold it I was 75/76 and it was time to get off of the bikes. Don't have any easily obtainable pictures, but wish I did. That little Sporty was as pretty as they come with that bright red paint job and all the chrome accessories that was put on it.
I really liked my 1000cc Sportster, not sure but think it was anniversary model bike orange & black. Never went on any long rides the vibration buzzing the mirrors and handlebars was a real pain. After riding the Sportster for over 15 years I got a Fatboy. Took a little while to get used to the weight and handling. Wish I had been into photography in those early days.

I really liked my 1000cc Sportster, not sure but think it was anniversary model bike orange & black. Never went on any long rides the vibration buzzing the mirrors and handlebars was a real pain. After riding the Sportster for over 15 years I got a Fatboy. Took a little while to get used to the weight and handling. Wish I had been into photography in those early days.
I owned quite a few bikes, mostly big twins of the shovel era, but also some evo's and even a V-rod.
But after my Ducati, I wanted better handling that was still fun in town. Bought a new '74 base model XL 883 as project bike. Built to resemble a 1970 XLCH I added the big jugs for 1204cc, Wiseco Forged Pistons, Andrews Cam/gear sets, international sprocket & Perf. Susp. and Works Perf. racing suspension. Plus some other stuff.
It would give fits to sportbikes on Palamar Mountain S. Grade Road (the tight side) but didn''t do as well on E. Grade Rd., which is faster with sweepers. They blew by me there, but it took 3-4 gears to do it.
Honestly, the most fun bike I've ever owned.

Attachments

• XL883&1200CompSm2.jpg
    XL883&1200CompSm2.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 45
A keen eye will detect colors not seen in nature...black wrinkle jugs with alum. heads? Sportster and XL750 guru, the late Allen Girdler had a chance to check it out in Oceanside, CA and was very generous about the build.

Attachments

• XLDougsRetroXL.jpg
    XLDougsRetroXL.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
My last sporty was an Evo 1200. It was rubber mounted and took most of the vibrations out of the ride. My first one was a 1969 Ironhead, about 883cc iirc. It was solid frame mounted and would shake the hell out of you. But back then I was young (prob 20-21), tough as nails, and dumb as hell, so it never bothered me. But I could surely tell the ride difference between the 883 and the 1200 Evo even after something like 47 years.

HD has made a lot of really good looking bikes over the years, but after all the dust has settled, the Sportster with a 'peanut' tank comes out as best looking bike all-round hands down. Now any bike can be customed to fit the rider's taste and likes, but in general, the sporty has the best overall stance, silhouette, and just plain looks.

My first love of the sporty was in a TV show back in the late 60's called "Then Came Bronson" with Michael Parks. I was a newly wed and when I watched that show I fell in love with the red sportster he and his friend were building together to travel the country with. I swore one day I'd have a red sportster. Well the new bride (I'm talking basically by a couple months) thought it was too dangerous and we didn't have the money anyway. So, I settled for and old home built semi-bobber iron head, British racing green, and leaked oil from everywhere oil could leak. I rode that one for a few months then sold it so she didn't have to worry anymore. I know she was young and worried about her man, but dang, it was my motorcycle and she just didn't understand. Oh well ........................

Anyway it was several years before I had another bike ... there was several Hondas 50, 305, 500, and a 900. Somewhere in between the Hondas I think I remember a 650 Triumph Bonny, a couple Ducatis 350, a 650 Yamaha (bad, bad wreck on this one with the wife), a Roadglide, a Dyna, a Softtail Custom Delux, a Suki VS800, and then the other Sporty. Oh wait, I forgot, in the early 60's I had a brite blue 165 HD Hummer till I ran it off a cliff in a dirt pit. Now that was a real thrill to ride. Like it had square wheels, but I loved it.

99 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic. Loved that thing. Multi-state trips, climbing Pikes Peak before it was paved, lots of fun times. It had a single pipe double muffler that I sawed out the outer muffler. Had a great sound and was a true “medium loud” that was perfect for me.
1729041779720.jpeg

These are my current two, a 2005 Kawasaki nomad and 2010 Goldwing. i bought the nomad to ride to work, diesel was eating my pocketbook up. my wife used to like to ride before her dementia but the nomads seat was too uncomfortable on long rides and i can see that it probably was. so i kept it to ride to work. rode it year round even in winter. it has 67'000 on it now. still runs like a new one.

I tried to buy a Harley electra glide before the wing. At that time people were buying bikes that never even sat on one before and buy harleys cause they thought it was cool to have one. most bought them and never rode them. anyway i went to the harley dealer and had one picked out and had to go find someone to wait on me. so i ask this guy i want this bike, how much ya'll take cash money. he said the price is on it, i said i see that what will you take for it? that's it partner, if you don't buy it at that somebody will. i said i never paid sticker for anything and not about to start.

sadly he is right, someone will pay that. anyway i went to Honda and guy came up to me and ask if i need help. told him what i was looking for and he said, think i can save you a lot of money. he said follow me. now this was a huge dealer. he walked me out in another building where bikes were stacked to the ceiling. this was a 2 year old wing still in the crate. he made me a price and i compared it to a new 2012 and i bought it.

SANY1670_zpse7ee79ae.jpg

View attachment 58553
I also bought my 2005 GoldWing sight unseen while it was still in the crate.
IMG_0162.jpeg

Picture taken in Canada.

Back