testtest

Reasons for Concealed Carry: My Interview with a Psychopath

Not to throw shade on the medical community, but, let me see if i have this straight. The story has him killing someone(?) for no reason, then harming himself, then issuing threats. They let him go? thanks for nothing. We do carry, for many reasons, this type of mentally ill misfit being one of them.

Not to throw shade on the medical community, but, let me see if i have this straight. The story has him killing someone(?) for no reason, then harming himself, then issuing threats. They let him go? thanks for nothing. We do carry, for many reasons, this type of mentally ill misfit being one of them.
Our Medical system, while pretty good, isn't really equipped to deal with these people long term. Hospitals in general aren't set up for long term care of anyone. As bad as it sounds we need some form of Asylum's again. So many of our homeless have severe mental health problems too but there's no where for them to go. Yeah this is just one more reason of a long list of why to carry.

I've said this before.

I worked as a security guard in Colorado Springs for approximately 15 years, mostly at night. I've seen first hand what kind of people wander around Colorado Springs (really all day long)after dark.

This really never happened to me but I used to work with a lady who was a corrections officer before she went to work as an admin assistant for Colorado Springs Utilities.

She told me that more than once she ran into somebody who had been a prisoner under her watch while she was shopping in Walmart.

As I've already said, I don't really have a similar experience but I stopped at Walmart on my way home one morning and while I was in the store I ran into a person that I had trespassed off a property in that same neighborhood 3 hours previously.

The last probably two or three months that I worked I was calling the police for petty crimes and being told that they had too many calls so they weren't coming.

Last example, I walked out my front door on my way to work one night and before I could get into my car two guys tried to rob me in the parking lot.

If nothing else convinced me that did. I've not left my home unarmed since.

Colorado Springs is a mid-size City on a major drug trafficking route (I-25). When I turn on the morning news the first 15 minutes of a half hour newscast is all the people who were shot or stabbed or robbed or assaulted the night before.

The current response time for the police is well over an hour right now. The last time I called the cops I was on hold before I even talked to an operator for 20 minutes.

That's why I carry a gun

well didn't i hear on the radio news this morning, that the GA 14 year old shooter was under FBI watch for making threats some time ago..??

why watch someone and not act when you see a pattern..??

Our Medical system, while pretty good, isn't really equipped to deal with these people long term. Hospitals in general aren't set up for long term care of anyone. As bad as it sounds we need some form of Asylum's again. So many of our homeless have severe mental health problems too but there's no where for them to go. Yeah this is just one more reason of a long list of why to carry.
Welcome to the forum from South Texas.

i had been saying "bring back the mental hospitals" for a long time now, even here on this site.

The mentally ill used to be locked up, but then people started talking about the rights of the patients demanding those poor people be set free. God forbid we protect the average citizens from these dangerous loons. There is nothing to compel these folks to take their meds. Some of the meds have warnings against stopping cold turkey.
Some of these folks are just as dangerous as Charles Manson, maybe worse. While they are free to roam, we have every right to protect ourselves and others, just as we are free to protect ourselves from the vast criminal or terrorist element. It's not a conspiracy theory if people are out to get you.

It should be noted that today we have less than 1/2 the number of inpatient psych beds nationwide that we had in 1950-and our population is well over twice (pushing three times) what it was then. Today the procedure is to treat, put on meds, and turn loose. Problem is the patient in way too many cases decides “ I don’t need this stuff”, quits their meds and goes back off the deep end. Seen it happen a bunch. Look at the huge numbers of “homeless” on the streets. A goodly percentage of them should be hospitalized for their own well being.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Reasons for Concealed Carry: My Interview with a Psychopath” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/reasons-for-concealed-carry/.

With all respect to Dr. Dabbs, Frank's condition sounds much more like schizophrenia rather than psychopathy, which is an inability to empathize with others and typically does not involve a break with reality. The title of the article would be accurate if it was "My Interview With A Schizophrenic."

Psychopaths (or sociopaths) have few moral scruples, can be very charming when they desire, and see other people as objects to be used to the extent that they can provide the sociopath with whatever they want. In some cases, other people are obstacles (to be eliminated). In others they are things to be used (think Bill and Hillary Clinton). In still others, sociopaths such as serial murderers enjoy the suffering, fear, and death of others. These people are legally (and psychologically) sane. They just don't care about the needs and feelings of others or how they hurt other people and do not have the same emotional reactions most people do. Estimates are that up to 4% of the population are sociopaths; obviously over-represented in elected government, as well as the C-Suite, but they are found in all walks of life.

With all respect to Dr. Dabbs, Frank's condition sounds much more like schizophrenia rather than psychopathy, which is an inability to empathize with others and typically does not involve a break with reality. The title of the article would be accurate if it was "My Interview With A Schizophrenic."

Psychopaths (or sociopaths) have few moral scruples, can be very charming when they desire, and see other people as objects to be used to the extent that they can provide the sociopath with whatever they want. In some cases, other people are obstacles (to be eliminated). In others they are things to be used (think Bill and Hillary Clinton). In still others, sociopaths such as serial murderers enjoy the suffering, fear, and death of others. These people are legally (and psychologically) sane. They just don't care about the needs and feelings of others or how they hurt other people and do not have the same emotional reactions most people do. Estimates are that up to 4% of the population are sociopaths; obviously over-represented in elected government, as well as the C-Suite, but they are found in all walks of life.
Welcome to the forum from South Texas.

You make a very important point. Many of the mental health problems involving delusional behavior start as insidious changes in behavior that can be barely noticeable to a lay person.
What we need is a way to increase awareness of changes in behavior so that these mental illnesses can be recognized in their early stages. This is a serious public health issue that is swept under because no one wants to point the finger at a person they suspect is having a problem's about to break through. We as a society needs to get past the negative stigma of mental illness and address the problem.
Absolutely it is dangerous for these people to have a weapon at their disposal. That can be anything that can be used as a weapon. I also see no problem with defending oneself if attacked. But it would be better for all if the problem (like most problems) was caught early.

At one time people like Frank would never be allowed to roam free. I believe it was during the 80s that Congress, including President Reagan said it was cruel to keep people like Frank off the streets and in mental institutions. So the law that kept 'them' in was changed and 'they' let 'them' out. Just one of many things the Congress and Presidents have done to make our streets less safe. So we carry, legally or not legally, but will feel better being able to keep ourselves, loved ones and the innocent safer.

Actually, the changes to mental health laws and the demise of asylums began in 1968 with the passage of the Community Mental Health Act. This was a law that was championed by JFK because he had a sister that had been "mistreated" by the existing mental health system. As with most laws designed to "right" some kind of wrong, the "solution" went way beyond what any reasonable person would suggest as a remedy. CMHA '68 effectively dismantled the federal and state mental health systems, and turned that responsibility (and funding) over to community-based mental health programs. Many of these programs were mismanaged, funds were diverted, and centers shuttered. State hospitals were left out of the "solution", and have been closed, repurposed, or simply torn down. So, here we are now...with a totally dysfunctional mental health system.

I say, bring back Arkham Asylum! In the meantime, carry what you are good with.

Not to throw shade on the medical community,
I will. All too often I've watched I/M's BS head shrinkers and then go back and brag about it on the cellblock. Too many think they can "fix" someone. It just needs the right amount of counseling, understanding and drugs. They talk to an I/M a couple hours a month, and think they know what's best and everything that needs to be done. Never listening to the guard that spend 8-12 hours a day 4,5,6 days a week dealing with the little darling. If they do ask the guard, or look at the notes, they only take into account what agrees with their opinions, dismissing everything else. Too many times after being asked not to do so, the Dr.s will take an I/M off constant, 15 min watch, give them back everything that was taken and by the end of the day the guards are once again going in to restrain a bleeding, combative, or both I/M. While the good, educated professional is home with their family. :mad:
Maybe I'm painting with too broad a brush, but that's my experience.

Actually, the changes to mental health laws and the demise of asylums began in 1968 with the passage of the Community Mental Health Act. This was a law that was championed by JFK because he had a sister that had been "mistreated" by the existing mental health system. As with most laws designed to "right" some kind of wrong, the "solution" went way beyond what any reasonable person would suggest as a remedy. CMHA '68 effectively dismantled the federal and state mental health systems, and turned that responsibility (and funding) over to community-based mental health programs. Many of these programs were mismanaged, funds were diverted, and centers shuttered. State hospitals were left out of the "solution", and have been closed, repurposed, or simply torn down. So, here we are now...with a totally dysfunctional mental health system.

I say, bring back Arkham Asylum! In the meantime, carry what you are good with.
You're exactly right. "Deinstitutionalization" is the source of many of our problems today. The inmates were released, but the local centers were not funded or built. So now we have a population of people with severe mental health problems who have nowhere to go. Many of them are harmless, but there are some violent people who are mentally impaired. Instead of being behind bars in an institution, they are free to roam among us and hurt people. Here's something I wrote a while back and saved to be used over and over:

On September 16, 2013, Aaron Alexis killed 12 people and injured 3 others in a mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard in Southeast Washington, D.C. Alexis had numerous mental health issues, including claims that the voices in his head were harassing him and an incident where he disassembled his hotel room bed, believing that someone was hiding under it.

On December 14, 2012, 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed 20 children and 6 adult staff members at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, Lanza was a schizophrenic psychopath who could barely function on his own. He lived with his mother but communicated with her only by email. His mother once told his babysitter "to keep an eye on him at all times - to never turn my back, not even to go to the bathroom."

On July 20, 2012, James Eagan Holmes killed 12 people and injured 70 others at a mass shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, Holmes had met previously with several mental health professionals at the University of Colorado. He had made homicidal statements to one of his psychiatrists, and she believed that he could be dangerous.

On January 8, 2011, Jared Lee Loughner killed 6 people and wounded 13 others during a constituent meeting held for U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson, Arizona. Loughner was a longtime drug user whose behavior frightened his parents. His teachers were afraid of him. He had had five contacts with college police for classroom and library disruptions.

On April 16, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people and wounded 17 others at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia, Cho had exhibited numerous incidents of aberrant behavior beginning in his junior year of college that should have served as a warning about his deteriorating mental condition.

One thing that is common among these and other mass murderers is that they were all known to be mentally ill, and their actions caused their acquaintances to fear them. Someone who is completely sane would not commit murder, right? So there's a common thread here - murderers have severe mental problems.

In the past, they would have been safely locked away in a secure facility where they could not hurt members of the general public. But the mental health system in this country has deteriorated to the point where it seems the only way a person can end up behind bars now is if they injure or kill someone.

Nope, the Doc is quite right. Frank is a psychopath. And the Doc said it but didn't...Frank is either possessed or oppressed, but I believe he's firmly possessed, as in perfectly possessed. This should be obvious. He did after all invite it in, and his behavior proves it. Unless someone, GOD, can reach him, he's lost.

At one time people like Frank would never be allowed to roam free. I believe it was during the 80s that Congress, including President Reagan said it was cruel to keep people like Frank off the streets and in mental institutions. So the law that kept 'them' in was changed and 'they' let 'them' out. Just one of many things the Congress and Presidents have done to make our streets less safe. So we carry, legally or not legally, but will feel better being able to keep ourselves, loved ones and the innocent safer.
The left won't agree with asylums because the mentally sick are of them.

Back