testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

gonna be HOT and muggy today..was going to go to the club, but i had to fetch my family member at work at 3AM today, (she got called to fill in) and i can't manage standing...so i'll work up some more 9mm.

i turned on the dehumidifier in the basement, that and a fan, and i'll be good.

sitting is easier, on that nice padded bar stool, over that hard wooden one.

well i managed to reload 200 rounds (9mm) today...i was more tired than i thought, with that surprise call to fetch my family member...so not a good day for shooting as i knew.....(i started at 8:45 and stopped/cleaned up at 11:30) ...i work slowly as you can surmise.

i still want that "goal" of 1,000 rounds, so it'll get done. hopefully by the weekend.

my Lee Pro-4000 was spitting out old primers from the press, onto the floor, rather than sending them down the catch tube.

you Lee guys know this happens, i wasn't knowing why, till i took off the catch tube...

what i found was that when attached to the ram, it is loose, and the spent primers get free.

so, i used Brakleen to clean out the inside of the ram, then i used a nylon tie to ensure the collet of the catch tubing, is tight to the ram.

in the picture, you see the Lee plastic collet "lock", and below that, the nylon tie.

the ram/handle bracketry slightly touches the nylon tie, but not enough to interfere with the operation.

like many have said, "when you own a Lee press, you gotta be a "tinkerer".......

1718726706070.png

well, i reached my goal of 1,000 rounds of 9mm.

started this morning, and finished at 12pm

i gotta get me an Inline fabrication stand for the Lee, it sits low on my bench, and is a back breaker, compared to the Dillon, which that is on a stand.

wife doesn't have the a/c on in the house, hot as hell for me...

i might have to consider making the basement my place to stay.

all i have to do is tell her my "new goal" of 10,000 rounds

well, i reached my goal of 1,000 rounds of 9mm.

started this morning, and finished at 12pm

i gotta get me an Inline fabrication stand for the Lee, it sits low on my bench, and is a back breaker, compared to the Dillon, which that is on a stand.

wife doesn't have the a/c on in the house, hot as hell for me...

i might have to consider making the basement my place to stay.

all i have to do is tell her my "new goal" of 10,000 rounds
You never can tell ... "making the basement your place to stay" just might be her 'new goal'!!! LOL! ;)

update:
ok, so i took my S&W MP 45 to the club,

1 box of my reloaded 45 ACP @ 4.5 gr, TightGroup, 230 gr, lead cast bullets, from Missouri Bullet, which i done up many months ago. (sometime in 2023)

i also took 17 "Test rounds" of the new Badman Bullets poly coated, 230 grain, @ near max charge of 5.0 gr. of TightGroup.

i gotta say, it IS true, that cast lead bullets do add to the smoke of shooting (many articles on this)

the poly coated bullets...??? i had a hard time seeing smoke.

there was "some" but, geez, hardly all that noticeable.

i like this....i am liking the poly coated bullets.

now, the powder charge might have helped cut down on the smoke as well.

i still noticed "some" particles on the shooting bench, but much less than with the all cast lead bullets.

of course with the higher powder charge, you guys know, the velocity was much better.

here is a pic, of the 17 "test rounds", with the obligatory "flier"

1719323696320.png

and once again, a pic of the test rounds. (i had made a few extra since this picture was taken)

1719323757994.png

Back