testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

I'll give you some examples in .45 ACP using 230 gr. RN lead bullets. 1.23" OAL
231- 4.0 gr. @ 661 fps, 5.8 gr. @ 902 fps
Titegroup- 4.5 gr. @ 735 fps, 5.1 gr. @ 841 fps
Unique- 5.5 gr. @ 695 fps, 7.3 gr. @ 905 fps
Pick something in between to start and load 10-20 rounds to test for function. Use a case gauge to find out of spec ammo. Do not use a barrel as a cheap alternative. I've gotten ftf at a match with out of spec ammo because I used a barrel. A round nose is most like a fmj and you can always get swc to try other loads. I've used 185 and 200 gr. swc successfully in my guns.
If you think you might want to load other calibers, try to pick a powder that would work with all or most of what you would do. I don't want a bunch of different ones if I can help it.
Cheapest bullets are lubed lead, but many companies offer coated bullets for a bit more. My last order came from Bear Creek bullets which are moly coated. Large pistol primers are more expensive than small and not as easy to find. You can also order .45 ACP brass with small pistol primer pockets and they are reportedly no different in firing than the large.
When I first started reloading, I bought 200 pieces of .44 Magnum brass.
You will not save money, but shoot more for the same amount you otherwise would have spent.

Back