testtest

What are you doing right now??

Just got back from dinner. Medium rare filet, salad and mashed with gravy. That steak was the best I can remember in a long time. The wife treated after winning $100 on a scratcher ticket. The beers were pretty good as I remember. Just kidding. They were great on a hot summer day.
My daughter sent me a package from Omaha Steaks for Father's Day. There are 4 beef fillets, have never cooked fillets before. I'll try this weekend hope they come out close to yours. Probably gonna need some luck.

Neighbors pool .. drinks and friends
IMG_6985.jpeg

Hey gang!

It doesn't look like much here on Victoria Bay, but we took a quick spin around Victoria, British Columbia. You can see Mt. Baker on the horizon in front of me. The ship is leaving the dock any minute, heading back to Seattle. Then we fly home. This has been one joy of a trip.

1000007787.jpg

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Just finishing up my cup of coffee. Getting ready to go out and hook my trailer up so I can go to the lumber yard and pick up $1500 worth of treated 2x10s and all the related incidentals to get my deck beams up. My plan is to have the two beams up and as many of the joists as I can by tomorrow night. We'll see if I can get it done. This shite gets harder every year.

My daughter sent me a package from Omaha Steaks for Father's Day. There are 4 beef fillets, have never cooked fillets before. I'll try this weekend hope they come out close to yours. Probably gonna need some luck.
It took me a long time to discover a meat thermometer. Sheesh! No more cutting into meat to figure out whether it's done or not. The other thing is I pay attention to my grill, how it cooks and estimating time by thickness. I use an infrared grill that does not flare up and leaves the meat juicy. We bought a new one this year and it is so much better than the old one that I limped along for years.
Salmon filets from Costco: 4 minutes per side
Bacon wrapped steaks from Fry's: 5 minutes per side
Frozen hamburger patties: 4.5-5 minutes per side
The new grill does get hot quickly and if I let it go too long, it will quicken the cook times, so it's on me to keep an eye on it.

My plan is to have the two beams up and as many of the joists as I can by tomorrow night. We'll see if I can get it done. This shite gets harder every year.
i know i said it before about "getting older"...but at the very least now, when some younger person makes a remark about you huffin' and puffin', you can now at least say....

"come here you little SOB, i'll show you who's gonna be huffin' and a puffin' when i beat your ass..........after i catch my breath".....

It took me a long time to discover a meat thermometer. Sheesh! No more cutting into meat to figure out whether it's done or not. The other thing is I pay attention to my grill, how it cooks and estimating time by thickness. I use an infrared grill that does not flare up and leaves the meat juicy. We bought a new one this year and it is so much better than the old one that I limped along for years.
Salmon filets from Costco: 4 minutes per side
Bacon wrapped steaks from Fry's: 5 minutes per side
Frozen hamburger patties: 4.5-5 minutes per side
The new grill does get hot quickly and if I let it go too long, it will quicken the cook times, so it's on me to keep an eye on it.
I started out the same why did I need a meat thermometer. Use a Traeger grill that comes with a temp probe and I also use an instant read thermometer. I guess I was bit intimidated by the 2-1/2 - 3" thick fillets and relatively small diameter. Gonna start smoking at around 11:00AM. We like our meat cooked to medium doneness. Thanks for the info. Think I'm gonna try some bacon wrapped steaks you referred too.

Those bacon wrapped filets are usually $5 on sale. We loaded up when there was an $.80 coupon as well. $4.20 for a filet is cheaper than hamburger. They come individually wrapped. We've only had maybe two chewy ones in the past 2-3 years. We got the grill for about $380. Some of the grill prices out there are frightening to this old guy.

Those bacon wrapped filets are usually $5 on sale. We loaded up when there was an $.80 coupon as well. $4.20 for a filet is cheaper than hamburger. They come individually wrapped. We've only had maybe two chewy ones in the past 2-3 years. We got the grill for about $380. Some of the grill prices out there are frightening to this old guy.
Yeah I'm almost embarrassed to say that I spent $900.00 on my Traeger Pro 575 pellet grill two years ago. Think you can find them now for six hundred or less. I have a large wood burner that I used for several years. Have several T-bone steaks in the freezer that I'm going to bacon wrap, probably next week.

Glad the beef fillets came out pretty good. Started out 225 degrees till internal temp got to 130 degrees. Removed meat from grill added a cast iron grate upped grill temp to 500 degrees seared both sides for about two minutes. Meat off at 137 degrees internal temp, very tender & juicy. I will definitely cook these again.

Back