testtest

Carrying multiple guns

My backup gun for work was a Model 38 S&W Bodyguard. It was also my off duty gun. It finally developed problems that S&W said they couldn't fix due to a lack of parts for the 30+ year old gun. They replaced it with a no-lock 642 but the old humpback is still missed.

Reading @ChanceMcCall post about the trove of hardware he carries reminded me of a intel detective that taught at the academy. He'd come in with dirty denim farmer coveralls. a long sleeve shirt and rubber gumboots with authentic mud and animal crap still attached, along with a straw hat that barely had any crown left.

One of the students would be invited to do a post arrest body search and told (truthfully) there were no weapons in his underwear. He normally would have upwards of 20 firearms and 10 knives secreted on him including a cut down 410 stuck down his pants leg and a micro Uzi hung from paracord. Often several handguns were missed along with miscellaneous knives. After the student had done their best search he'd doff the hat while talking and drop it -suddenly showing a pair of stainless NAA mini revolvers in his hands.

As he was getting ready to end the class he'd say "Oh, Yeah!" and pull out 2 or 3 blades used in replaceable blade barber razors from beneath his chin beard. He always got a big round of applause while leaving and it was a poignant demonstration of how hard it is to find every possible weapon, much less dope, without doing a strip search.

That would twist my tail to no end. JMHO I'll keep my broken humpback and S&W can stuff their modified lemon squeezer. :mad: If I want a new 642 I'll buy one, and hunt for parts and someone to fix my 38.

The Bodyguard was a trusted companion with me for many chapters of life. That said, for pocket carry the enclosed hammer 642 is far superior. I can't count the time spent cleaning my BG of the miscellaneous crap that gets into the hammer slot. One of my bosses at the D.A's office had the same gun which spent most of its life in the bottom of her purse and invariably needed the side plate taken off and hosed with gun scrubber.:oops:

The Bodyguard was a trusted companion with me for many chapters of life. That said, for pocket carry the enclosed hammer 642 is far superior. I can't count the time spent cleaning my BG of the miscellaneous crap that gets into the hammer slot. One of my bosses at the D.A's office had the same gun which spent most of its life in the bottom of her purse and invariably needed the side plate taken off and hosed with gun scrubber.:oops:
I’m surprised they didn’t replace it with a 638; they still make them.

I had an all-stainless 649 no-dash in .38; far prefer my 640, 4/642’s, and rimfire Centennials. They fit into my hand like it was designed for it; point naturally as pointing my finger. Think it’s due to being able to grip it higher…whatever it is, it works for me.

HUMMM. I don't let crap build up in my pockets. No matter what or how I'm carrying I always do a once over to ensure that it's loaded and ready to go, fixing any deficiencies as necessary. Nothing personal sounds like a user flaw not a design flaw. ;) Then I'm going to always defend the humpback to the hilt because, well, they are just way cooler:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
BTW I have never had miscellaneous crap in the hammer slot. YMMV. God Bless.

I have been carrying the 642 in my front left pocket as a 2nd gun for about 3 to 4 weeks. Although it works, I still want to pick up a small .380 or 9mm to take it's place, however, we just spent over a $1000 to get our a/c back to percolating fine in this Texas heat. Said pistol purchase may have to wait a couple of months.

Joe

Since you asked ...

PGO shotgun, slung grip up , muzzle down offside shoulder, and baggy windbreaker .

But didn't really work that great .And couldn't really recommend it , without stepping up to NFA things .
500 cruiser model on a bungee sling under your strong side armpit, with a trench coat or duster.

No getting around the fact that pistol grips on shotguns are a disadvantage though.

Most agents and LEOs carry at least two guns

More common than general public would think , but well short of " most " .

I habitually carried 5 handguns and two knives.

Dude , I surrender ! You win
:) ( Too new to know what's serious , what's a running gag .)

But seriously , in the day , three was not uncommon . More than 3 ? Unless you were just running up the count with an unacessable mini revolver or .25acp , not really worthwhile or practical.

500 cruiser model on a bungee sling under your strong side armpit, with a trench coat or duster.

No getting around the fact that pistol grips on shotguns are a disadvantage though.

But that would interfere with the primary pistol already on strong side .

And yeah . ( The mainstream type ) shotgun pistol grip is terrible, and all but unusable.

The type of grip now know as Shockwave, previously sometimes know as Witness Protection actually is marginally usable.

Well now that was really stupid! You can't defend yourself if you have to shoot ... with a damned cucumber!!! LOL!

Ran accross someone one time , with an additional pants belt around his middle , and an EMPTY N Frame 4 inch holster , arranged so that the toe of the holster stuck 2 inches or so from beneath his garment.

Had a conversation with him with much curiosity. He said it was to intimidate the Malfactors in the neighborhood to leave him alone. ( It actually was that type of neighborhood. )

I told him it wasn't illegal , but tried to get thru to him that it was multiple levels of Stupid .

I really liked the Jordan holsters, carried a M-66 in a reversed angle model. I can't remember, were they called Border Patrol models?

One is a subset of the other . Border Patrol is the more generic term . Jordan has his interpretation of how he modified it . And the Jordan flavor became iconic .

If you check the El Paso Saddlery catelogue, their " Patton " holster is reasonably close to the previous BP holster , which was designed with input from Charles Askins

But that would interfere with the primary pistol already on strong side .

And yeah . ( The mainstream type ) shotgun pistol grip is terrible, and all but unusable.

The type of grip now know as Shockwave, previously sometimes know as Witness Protection actually is marginally usable.
You could carry it under your left armpit and still be ok. Or, since you’ve already got the cool duster on you could go ahead and wear a 10” Super Blackhawk in a leather shoulder rig crossdraw.

Bird’s head grip is better for recoil, but recoil isn’t the main drawback to a pistol grip.

I’m surprised they didn’t replace it with a 638; they still make them.

I had an all-stainless 649 no-dash in .38; far prefer my 640, 4/642’s, and rimfire Centennials. They fit into my hand like it was designed for it; point naturally as pointing my finger. Think it’s due to being able to grip it higher…whatever it is, it works for me.
I always liked the bodyguard but lately after shooting a buddies extensively I have become a convert to the centennial. It has, as you mentioned, a different feel, higher grip lower bore I suppose but it feels very comfortable. Thinking it might be my next purchase.

Bird’s head grip is better for recoil, but recoil isn’t the main drawback to a pistol grip.

Nope . It's the lack of any possible vaguely usable technique of vaguely aiming / pointing / controlling it . But the noticeable wrist pain from 12ga with heavier than a trap load is not insignificant also .

Sorry , don't have a 10 inch Blackhawk, or a Duster .

7.5 inch Blackhawks carried in " field " / woods with a cross draw.

BUT , once upon a time , just so I could say I did it once , carried a 6.5 inch 3 Screw .357 at work. Bianchi X - 15 under jacket , as " backup " to J frame on right hip . If the extremely unlikely that day , something happened, after the first 10 rounds , had speedloaders for the J Frame.

Nope . It's the lack of any possible vaguely usable technique of vaguely aiming / pointing / controlling it . But the noticeable wrist pain from 12ga with heavier than a trap load is not insignificant also .

Sorry , don't have a 10 inch Blackhawk, or a Duster .

7.5 inch Blackhawks carried in " field " / woods with a cross draw.

BUT , once upon a time , just so I could say I did it once , carried a 6.5 inch 3 Screw .357 at work. Bianchi X - 15 under jacket , as " backup " to J frame on right hip . If the extremely unlikely that day , something happened, after the first 10 rounds , had speedloaders for the J Frame.
I’m trying to figure out how to comfortably carry and conceal two 9MMS, a .45, a Beretta 1301T and a 16” carbine. And spare mags and a few shot cards.

Back